Wednesday 7 November 2012

Traditional Cook Island Tivaevae handcraft embroidary

Traditional Cook Island Tivaevae embroidary - sewen by Mr Rahui Tepapa Mairi David for his grand-daughters' wedding gift - 2012




It is Manihikian custom to handcraft such beautiful and vibrant quilts which we call Tivaevae. A variety of stitches are used to  enhance the pattern being designed. Most patterns used are floral and fruits. When my husband and I married my father also added animal designs which is out of the ordinary but the results were absolutely gorgeous, my favourite is the white swan on a dark navy blue back sheet.

Once a year old tradition would have the women of Manihiki display their tivaevae within their homes for everyone in the Villages of Tukao and Tauhunu to view. The Villagers would go from house to house to admire and appreciate each Mama's handy work. After doing so everyone would gather afterwards and share a hearty meal and converse about the effort gone into each piece.

My father was blessed to have this skill passed down to him from his grandmother, as a young boy she would teach him the art of tivaevae along with other skills such as weaving of fine mats, hats etc. My father was never taught the skills of fishing, climbing coconut trees etc but instead was coaxed into staying with the elderly where he was also repeatedly told stories of old, historical occurrences along with genealogical recitements. It's no wonder why he's able to upload and lock in, so much into that brain of his.

Tivaevae hand stitching takes a lot of patience and carefulness especially when it comes to detail of the design. People who create tivaevaes for a living can take them up to a week to complete, I guess the more familiar you are with any skill, it becomes easier along the way and you become more efficient. My father along with the help of my mother made a total of 25 tivaevaes for my husband and I and gifted me with both my Great grandmothers tivaevaes which were gifted to them on their wedding day.

Tivaevae's are created and made for the purpose of gifting them to your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, these are family heirlooms. They can be gifted to a person on their birthday, haircutting, wedding and any other special occasion. I myself will one day pass onto our daughter her grandfathers handcrafted Tivaevae's.

No comments:

Post a Comment